Recipe of the Day: Vegan Dark Chocolate S’mores Bars
Roasting s'mores is a summer tradition but we added a twist that makes it easier to enjoy these treats even without a campfire. Simply bake your s'mores into fluffy bars, similar to a brownie but with the marshmallow, chocolate, and gram cracker layers. This vegan and gluten-free s'mores recipe is perfect for anyone without a fire pit, anyone who can't get enough of this gooey, delicious dessert, or anyone with allergies or dietary restrictions.
These bars are one of a kind because we use plant-based ingredients to make a caloric dessert slightly healthier. The quality ingredients call for a date-almond crust, dairy-free chocolate ganache, and a soft gelatin-free marshmallow. You will be surprised at how using better products makes the treats richer and indulgent.
S'mores bars are the perfect dessert to bring to a summer party or on a picnic. Save the leftovers in the fridge for up to a week and enjoy them as an on-the-go snack. The bars still taste amazing chilled so re-heating the dessert is optional. Have your blender handy and enjoy!
Make it for: A summer dessert or an on-the-go snack. Save the leftovers in the fridge and enjoy them throughout the week.
Recipe Developer: Lauren, Flora & Vino
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 45 minutes
Vegan Dark Chocolate S' mores Bars Recipe
Yield 9-12 squares
- 1 ½ cups superfine almond flour
- ¼ cup Medjool dates
- 3 TBSP coconut oil, melted, + more as needed
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
Chocolate Ganache Layer
- 1 1/4 cup Hu Kitchen Gems
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Coarse sea salt, for topping
- 1 10 oz. bag vegan and gluten-free marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add almond flour and dates to a high-speed blender or food processor and mix on high until a fine meal is achieved, scraping down sides as needed.
- Add the melted coconut oil to the blender. This should form a sticky crumbly dough.
- Add a little more as needed to form a dough that will stick together when pressed with your fingers. Add chopped pecans and pulse a few more times to combine – you want a little texture here so leave it slightly chunky!
- Transfer mixture to the parchment-lined baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and there is some browning on the surface. Remove from the oven to cool slightly.
- In the meantime, add chocolate to a medium mixing bowl. Add almond milk to a separate small mixing bowl or measuring cup and microwave for 30 seconds. Add milk to chocolate and allow it to rest for 5 minutes to melt completely.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon to incorporate.
Spread the ganache over the slightly cooled crust and sprinkle on a little sea salt on top. Top with vegan marshmallows. Switch the oven to broil and broil the bars for 5-10 minutes until the marshmallows are golden brown and slightly burnt. Allow bars to cool completely before slicing.
- Once the chocolate has set, lift the bars out of the baking dish and gently
Carefully chop into 9 bars and serve immediately. Best when served fresh! Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to one week.