Moroccan-Inspired Salad with Superfoods and Plant-Based Protein
This Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Salad is both easy and delicious It’s vegan, gluten-free, so easy to make, and healthy! This is a protein-packed, whole-foods salad recipe, using fresh and flavourful ingredients. Finished with a deliciously spiced Moroccan Salad Dressing to drizzle.
Furthermore, in this recipe, you’ll find grated carrots, chickpeas, quinoa, arugula, fresh herbs, roasted almonds and sweet dates. Certainly, this Moroccan salad is far from boring and bland!
Better yet, this Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Salad can be prepared in advance, and will last up to 3 days in the fridge! I love a good meal prep salad that you can rely on for healthy mid-week lunches and quick dinners.
Now, let me tell you exactly how to make this Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Salad so that you can get crunching and munching immediately!
Moroccan Carrot and Chickpea Salad
Recipe Developer: Hannah Sunderani, @twospoons.ca
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Why we love it: This Moroccan-inspired salad is gluten-free, low in calories, and easy to make. It's packed with fresh and whole foods including several immune-boosting foods like cumin, ginger, pepper flakes, oranges, and lemon. This salad will keep fresh for up to 3 days in the fridge. For time purposes: "To speed the quinoa cooling process, spread cooked quinoa into a shallow bowl. This will allow for the steam to release faster."
Health Benefits: This flavorful salad is full of superfoods that are rich in nutrients like quinoa, chickpeas, almonds, arugula, and mint. While salad dressings are normally high in calories and sugar, this one is not. The Moroccan dressing is flavored with healthy spices and powerful antioxidants like pepper flakes, cumin, and ginger.
Make it for: A healthy and filling lunch or serve it as a side dish with dinner.
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 shallot small
- 1 cup carrots grated
- 1 can chickpeas (400 ml)
- 2.5 oz arugula
- 1/2 cup mint tightly packed
- 1/4 cup dates chopped
Moroccan Salad Dressing
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- In a saucepan combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cook quinoa for 12-15 minutes. Fluff with a spoon and cover with a tea towel. Let cool.
- Toast almonds in a skillet on medium heat, stirring often until fragrant and golden browned (approx. 8-10 mins). Remove from heat.
- Prepare dressing in a small bowl by whisking together oil, lemon juice, orange juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, coriander, sea salt, and red pepper flakes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine quinoa, chopped shallot, grated carrot, chickpeas, arugula, chopped mint and dates, and toasted almonds. Pour over the dressing and toss to combine.
Nutrition Notes: Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 121mg | Potassium: 396mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 4015IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 2mg