Recipe of the Day: Crispy and Savory Cauliflower Wings
One of the best things about eating a plant-based diet is experimenting with alternatives to the foods you used to love. Who knew that cauliflower could replace chicken wings and taste just as good, if not better. The simple trick is to coat and rub the vegetable in this smokey, barbeque 'chicken' spice made with plants to deliver the same taste that's seasoned on meat. It's never been easier to fool a carnivore.
Cauliflower works best for this recipe because it's a dense vegetable that absorbs anything you add to it and has a similar shape and size as a chicken wing. There's no downside to eating more vegetables but when you choose to eat plant-based or limit your consumption of meat you also lower inflammation in your body caused by the animal product.
Make these cauliflower wings as an appetizer on game day or enjoy them as a healthier alternative to the wings you love. To fully indulge, dip the cauliflower in a vegan ranch or make your own flavorful sauce.
Recipe Developer: Christie Vanover, @girlscangrill
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Vegan Cauliflower Wings
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1-1/2 cup sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons Spiceology Christie Vanover Chicken Rub
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Heat a grill (with indirect heat) or oven to 450F degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the cauliflower in half; break into florets.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, water, olive oil, cornstarch, Chicken Rub, and salt.
- Individually, dip each floret into the batter, and shake off any excess.
- Dip each floret into the breadcrumbs and place it on the prepared sheet pan, leaving space between each piece.
- Grill or bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with sauce or dip of your choice.