Grain Bowl with Fresh Vegetables and Plant-Based Protein
If you want to eat a plant-based diet or if are looking to try new vegan recipes, this grain bowl with fresh vegetables and plant-based meat alternative is a delicious and protein-packed dish. The best part about building a grain bowl is that you can add any ingredient you love. Our ingredients call for vegan "beef" with garlic, ginger, rice, kimchi, cabbage, avocado, onion, and fresh sauces and spices. This recipe contains plenty of plant-based protein and is high in fiber so you'll feel fuller longer, and not have that peckish urge to snack later. The avocados are known to help you stay full for up to 6 hours, according to a recent study, and this recipe uses one full avocado, so don't skip it!
Meat Alternatives Taste Just As Good As the Real Thing
If this is your first time experimenting with meat alternatives, we recommend trying different brands to see which one tastes and feels best for you, but in this recipe, we use Beyond Meat, found in most local grocery stores and available for online orders. You will be surprised that vegan meat tastes and feels similar to the real thing, you could fool almost any carnivore. Another plus is that the faux meat requires less cooking time than real meat, and after all if your patty is slightly undercooked, no need to worry about getting sick because it's made with plants!
The next time your meat-loving friend, uncle, or dad comes over for dinner, make this grain bowl and don't mention anything about vegan meat. Watch their reactions when they take their first bite–it might take three or more bites until they realize the difference between this meat and what they're used to. This recipe is loved by most carnivores so if you're trying to ditch the meat or want a loved one to eat less animal product, keep this recipe in your back pocket.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
Grain Bowl with Fresh Vegetables
- 1 lb Vegan Protein/ Beyond Beef®
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced (1 tbsp)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ cup plant-based Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup kimchi
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- ½ cucumber, sliced into half-moons
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- 4 tsp sesame seeds
- Start by preheating a pan over medium-high heat, add the Beyond Beef and break into quarter-sized crumbles. Let cook for 8 minutes or until a crunchy crust starts to form on the outside of the crumbles.
- While the Beyond Beef is cooking, whisk together the garlic, brown sugar, soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil in a medium bowl.
- Once the Beyond Beef gets crunchy, turn the heat to low and add the sauce mix you just created. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and coated the Beyond Beef.
- In a separate bowl make the spicy aioli by combining the plant-based mayonnaise, sriracha, and lime juice.
- Assemble the bowls by scooping 1 cup brown rice, ¼ cup kimchi, ¼ cup purple cabbage, ¼ of the sliced cucumber, and ¼ of the avocado into each bowl. Garnish each bowl with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
Calories 1108 | Total Fat 30.4g | Saturated Fat 3.9g | Sodium 1639mg | Total Carbohydrate 171g | Dietary Fiber 11.6g | Total Sugars 11.1g | Protein 40.4g | Calcium 301mg | Iron 6mg | Potassium 972mg |