Everything Vegan at Pret A Manger: Healthy Breakfasts, Lunches, and Snacks
Americans love a quick breakfast. Stopping by a grab-and-go restaurant for a small snack and coffee is essential when balancing a busy work week. That's why when Pret A Manger arrived in New York City in 2001, busy Americans fell in love with the London-based coffee chain. Now, there are currently 83 locations in 11 cities, catering to the busy work week, including plant-based or plant-forward customers.
While U.S. Pret A Manger locations offer a fraction of the vegan offerings available in the United Kingdom, the quick service chain is gradually expanding its plant-based offerings for the growing number of meat and dairy-free customers, especially within New York City. Nearly half of Americans describe themselves as flexitarians, according to a research poll by Sprouts Farmers Market. Now that America is plant-curious, Pret A Manger is delivering some of the UK's tastiest plant-based innovations.
Pret A Manger Introduces Vegan Options in the U.S.
While Americans only get a small taste of Pret A Manger's massive vegan menu, the company is accelerating its production efforts stateside. This January, the fast food chain launched its Meatless Meatball Wrap across the United States to celebrate Veganuary. Now, the menu item is a permanent fixture on every menu in the United States (and the UK). Working together with Meatless Farm, the new menu item features a planet-friendly option designed for plant-based and sustainability-conscious consumers.
“More consumers are increasingly aware of how meat consumption impacts the planet and this partnership allows them to enjoy fresh, high-quality plant-based food that tastes amazing while helping to protect not only their health but the environment, too," Meatless Farm Founder Morten Toft Bech said in a statement at the time.
Pret A Manger first introduced oat milk to all its US locations in 2020, dropping the surcharge for plant-based milk almost immediately afterward (unlike several competitors including Starbucks). American customers can find affordable plant-based coffee options at every Pret A Manger nationwide.
Everything That's Vegan at Pret A Manger
- Morning Glory Banana Muffin: Packed with bananas, hints of carrots, and apples, this tasty muffin is a healthy, smart choice for a small breakfast. Packed with 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber, this gut-healthy snack is a top choice.
- Creamy Oatmilk Porridge: Served with an oatmeal topper of your choice, this mix of whole grain oats and oat milk delivers a hearty vegan dessert that anyone will enjoy.
- Sunshine Bowl: The sunshine bowl contains layers of bananas, a mango-banana puree, and crunchy granola. This protein-packed (8 grams per serving) breakfast is topped with toasted coconut chips and blueberries.
- Fruits: For a quick bite, order a banana or the Pineapple & Lime Pot.
Wraps, Bowls, and Salads
- Falafel & Hummus Wrap: This 7-grain wrap is packed with Falafel, hummus, pickles, pickled cabbage & carrots, red peppers, and romaine. To flavor it up, ask for a side of one of Pret A Manger's specialty dressings. This wrap contains a whopping 20 grams of protein per serving.
- Meatless Meatball Wrap: Pret A Manger's first American meatless option comes stuffed with meatless meatballs from Meatless Farm, tossed in marinara sauce. The wrap contains red peppers, red onions, and crispy onions in a 7-grain wrap, packed with 24 grams of protein per serving.
- Mediterranean Mezze Salad with Pret's Simple Vinaigrette: This Mediterranean-inspired salad is topped with falafel, hummus, sesame seeds, cucumber, and pickled cabbage & carrots. This salad comes with Pret's simple vinaigrette but you can ask for another dressing if desired.
- Cauliflower & Chickpea Grain Bowl: This seasonal special features a curried mixture of chickpeas and cauliflower topped with fresh greens and avocado. The curry is plated over a bed of quinoa and brown rice.
- Dressings: Asian Dressing, Green Goddess Dressing, Lemon Shallot Dressing
Bowls & Cups of Soup
- Moroccan Lentil: This rich soup is packed with hearty lentils, chunky vegetables, a handful of Moroccan spices, and a dash of balsamic vinegar to give customers a powerfully flavored soup for the colder season. This soup is one of the healthiest options on the menu with 13 grams of fiber and 17 grams of protein.
- Roasted Veggie Harvest: This hearty soup features a mix of savoy cabbage, sweet potatoes, potatoes, zucchini, carrots, celery, onions, and spices in vegetable stock, providing customers with a healing plant-based option. However, this option contains a low amount of protein and fiber when compared to other menu options.
- Pret Delicious Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt: Pick up this plant-based chocolate bar on your way out.
- Omega-3 Nut Mix: Looking for something to tide you over between meals? This healthy nut mix provides you with essential nutrients without eating something filling.
- Vegan Kettle Chips: Every Pret A Manger features a wide array of plant-based chip options. Choose your favorite flavor to eat alongside your Meatless Meatball Wrap.
Grabbing a specialty coffee at Pret A Manger? No worries! This chain offers oat milk and almond milk free of charge! So, you can ask for any espresso drink made with your favorite plant-based milk without worrying about spending extra money. The chain also features four vegan syrups including vanilla, cane, creme caramel, and hazelnut so you can give add your favorite flavor to your morning coffee.
Choosing Plant-Based Fast-Food
Despite some latecomers, the majority of American fast food chains have adopted plant-based menu items. Major chains including McDonald's, Burger King, Chipotle, and Starbucks have introduced vegan-friendly items as the demand for sustainable options continues to increase. The vegan fast-food market is currently expected to reach $40.25 billion by 2028.
This change is primarily driven by younger consumers looking to shop with the planet and their health in mind. This May, one poll found that nearly half (49 percent) of Gen Z consumers feel ashamed while ordering dairy milk in public. Current estimates suggest that 87.5 percent of Gen Z is worried about the environment, so it is likely we will see more plant-based options from Pret A Manger in the near future.
For more plant-based fare near you, visit The Beet's Find Vegan Near Me articles.