Warm and Comforting with a Healthy Twist: Vegan Turmeric Date Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe: Vegan Golden Turmeric Date Cinnamon Rolls
Recipe Developer: Ciarra, @peanubutterpluschocolate
Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
Yield: 12 Rolls
Why we love it: It’s time to switch up your traditional cinnamon rolls and add a healthy twist to the sinful taste. The dough is mixed with warmed turmeric coconut milk, which shouldn’t scare you away because the taste of tumeric in these rolls is so minimal. The combination of warm and delicious cinnamon is blended with dates and soft vegan butter, so you can be sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Alternatives: Watching your weight? No problem, these cinnamon rolls can be made gluten-free, with natural sugars, and a without the icing and still taste like a heavenly treat. Here’s how: Replace all purpose flour with gluten-free flour, we like King Arthur GF flour. Instead of cane sugar, add two tablespoons of agave. Instead of vegan butter, try using mashed bananas or applesauce, any food alternative that has the same consistency as butter. You can eat the rolls without the icing or drizzle maple syrup for a sweet touch and half the calories.
Health Benefits: Tumeric has a number of health benefits and acts as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. For everything you need to know about turmeric, click here.
Make it for: These sweet treats taste even better with a hot cup of coffee and vegan creamer. Enjoy these cinnamon rolls on a relaxing Sunday morning, while you catch up on your favorite TV series.
For the Dough:
- 4 – 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 packet instant rise yeast
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Native Forest Organic Turmeric Coconut Milk warmed
- 3/4 cup plant based milk warmed
- 1/4 cup vegan butter melted
For the Date Filling:
- 10 medjool dates pitted and soaked hot water
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter soft
- 2 tsp cinnamon + more for sprinkling
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 3-4 tbsp plant based milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add 2 cups of the flour, yeast, cane sugar and salt to a bowl of a mixer and combine. Once combined, add in the melted butter and warmed turmeric coconut milk and plant based milk and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the remaining flour until a dough starts to form. Cover the dough and let it sit for 5 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- Drain the water from your dates and place them into a food processor or blender along with the remaining filling ingredients. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed.
- Dust a large piece of parchment paper with flour and roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Spread the filling in a thin layer over the dough and sprinkle with cinnamon and then tightly roll up the dough starting on the wider side. Use a sharp knife to cut the log into 12 evenly sized pieces. Place the pieces into a baking dish prepared with parchment paper or non stick spray about half inch apart. Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm place.
- After 30 minutes, turn the oven to 350 F and bake the rolls for 20-22 minutes. Stir together the glaze ingredients and drizzle it over the warm cinnamon rolls. Serve.