Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip for Under $1 a Serving, the Perfect Super Bowl Snack
Step aside buffalo wings, there’s a new kid in town. Say hello to this quick, easy, and healthy buffalo "chicken" dip! Superbowl Sunday won't be complete without it on the menu.
Made with meaty pulled jackfruit, creamy cashew-based cheese, and spicy red-hot sauce, this dip delivers big, bold flavors that will have everyone lining up for seconds! Serve it with your choice of bread or chips. For an even healthier option, add carrot sticks and celery to the side.
There’s no need for chicken when you’ve got jackfruit as a substitute. It's not only lower in calories, but it also doesn’t contain unwanted cholesterol or saturated fat. Talk about the complete package!
Get prepped and ready for game day with this delicious deconstructed version of buffalo wings. Your friends and family will love you!
Want to make this dip more budget-friendly?
- Replace the cashew base with sunflower seeds.
- Skip the shredded cheese and use a sprinkle of nutritional yeast on top.
- Replace the shredded jackfruit with chickpeas.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Cost: $6.39 recipe | $0.80 serving
Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked ($2.58)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast ($0.48)
- ¼ cup tapioca starch ($0.34)
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder ($0.02)
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon dried dill ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley ($0.02)
- 1 teaspoon dried chives ($0.02)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar ($0.10)
- ¾ cup buffalo hot sauce ($0.97)
- 2 cups water ($0.01)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil ($0.11)
- 75 grams dehydrated jackfruit* ($1.68)
- Salt & pepper to taste ($0.02)
To serve optional
- Extra shredded plant-based cheese
- Sliced green onions or chives
- Sliced baguette or pita bread
- Vegetables (carrots, celery, etc.)
- Corn tortilla chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add soaked and drained cashews, nutritional yeast, tapioca starch, onion powder, garlic powder, dill, parsley, chives, apple cider vinegar, hot sauce, and water to a blender and mix on high until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Set aside.
- Bring dehydrated jackfruit to boil in a saucepan of water for 5-10 minutes, or until softened, then drain it. If you are using canned jackfruit, drain and shred it.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium, then add in shredded jackfruit. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes to get rid of excess water.
- Transfer cashew cream to the skillet and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened. Transfer to a baking dish large enough to fit the dip.
- Sprinkle the top with plant-based cheese or more nutritional yeast (optional).
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn your oven to broil for another 5 minutes, or until the top is browned to your liking.
- Serve with green onions or chives on top and a side of carrots, celery, baguettes, or tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Notes: 75 grams of dehydrated jackfruit is equal to 525 grams rehydrated.
Soak the cashews for at least 6-8 hours in room temperature water or 1-2 hours in boiling water.
Nutrition: 1 of 8 servings
Calories 197 | Total Fat 12.8g | Saturated Fat 2.2g | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 564.5mg | Total Carbohydrates 17.3g | Dietary Fiber 3.4g | Total Sugars 1.5g | Protein 6.6g | Calcium 17.8mg | Iron 2.0mg | Potassium 205.1mg |