Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
The holidays are right around the corner and while you're busy preparing the menu, you can't miss out on this must-have recipe that everyone will love, because really, who doesn't love potatoes?
These vegan scalloped potatoes are as delicious as they are beautiful, and easy to make (woohoo!) All you need is twenty minutes to prep the dish which requires slicing potatoes thin and mixing the cheese-flavored sauce.
This cheerful holiday side compliments all your main entreés whether that's a nut loaf or Shepherd's pie. Bring joy to the feast with the beautiful presentation of layered sliced potatoes, and the delicious taste of festive flavors with rosemary, sage, and thyme.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 cups soy milk or creamy unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup chopped rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped sage
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes, thinly sliced (about 4 ½-5 cups when sliced)
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheese
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Make sure the potatoes are thinly sliced and ready to be assembled. Grease a 9x12 casserole dish with cooking oil or vegan butter, and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy milk and arrowroot starch. Set aside.
- To a medium saucepan, heat the vegan butter and minced garlic until the garlic is lightly golden. Add in the rosemary, thyme, sage, and salt, and saute on medium heat until fragrant.
- Pour in the soy milk mixture, and reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring the mixture for 5-7 minutes, until the arrowroot thickens the milk. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- For the first layer, arrange the sliced potatoes in three rows, each slice being placed slightly on top of the next. Pour about one third of the soy milk mixture onto the potatoes, and top with about ½ cup of vegan cheese.
- Repeat for the second and third layer of potatoes.
- On the third layer, use all of the remaining cheese.
- Place the casserole into the oven to bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the cheese has slightly melted and the potatoes have slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Calories 304 | Total Fat 11.8g | Saturated Fat 3.5g | Sodium 1032mg | Total Carbohydrate 43.5g | Dietary Fiber 8.2g | Total Sugars 5.3g | Protein 6.6g | Calcium 173mg | Iron 5mg | Potassium 780mg |