Delicious and Healthy Fruit-Free Milkshake With Fresh Vegetables
If you enjoy a thick smoothie, you will love this fruit-free vegan milkshake made with your favorite plant-based ingredients. This recipe is a treat, but low in calories since it's made with mostly vegetables. This milkshake tastes like an ice cream shake, the perfect refreshing treat to enjoy on a summer day.
Why it's healthier: You add zucchini which is rich in many nutrients and antioxidants and is especially high in vitamin A. Zucchini is also a great source of the antioxidants carotenoids such as lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene which benefit your eyes, skin, and heart,and may protect against certain cancers. Zucchini can also help lower blood sugar levels as a high fiber carb replacement. Other potential benefits are bone health, anticancer effects, a healthy prostate and thyroid function.
Healthier ingredients: Zucchinis are high in Fiber, Vitamin A, C and K, and antioxidants carotenoids such as lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene.
When you're in a time crunch smoothies are an easy way to fuel your body and drink on-the-go. The Beet invites you to sign up for our Smoothie of The Day Newsletter and receive free smoothie recipes from celebrities, influencers, and plant-based chefs right to your inbox.
A Message From the Chef: Basically a salad in milkshake form. Delicious low-sugar fruit-free shakes that taste like dessert but are packed with vegetables and protein!
Recipe Developer: @flora_and_vino
Why we love it: This plant-based shake tastes incredible and is much healthier than traditional milkshakes. Drizzle on your favorite toppings and you will be happy you treated yourself to a delcious meal.
Make it for: A snack, meal replacement, or a post-workout shake. This milkshake is loaded with plant-based protein and is the perfect way to recover and build your muscles after exercising.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Fruit-Free “Fake Out” Shakes
Makes 1 serving
- 1 – 2 cup + unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder (optional but recommended)
- 1 TBSP nut butter or 1 TBPS peanut powder
- 2 cups steamed and frozen vegetables: Zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli stems, & sweet potato (I like to do 1/2 cup each cauliflower, zucchini, sweet potato, and broccoli stems but any mixture works!)
- Chocolate tahini or peanut butter drizzle, superfood crumble
- Add 1 TBPS powdered peanut butter
- Add a heavy dash of cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender in the order listed.
- Pulse until well combined, adding more almond milk to reach desired consistency.
- Add any “add-on” variation items to the blender and blend again until well combined.
- Serve in mason jars and top with superfood crumble and optional drizzle.
- Enjoy immediately!
Nutrition Info: Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Calories 439 Total Fat 18.3 g Sat. Fat 1.1 g Sodium 339 mg Total Carbs 44.8 g Fiber 18.6 g Sugars 8.5 g Protein 29.6 g