Vegan Asparagus and Leek Galette, The Perfect Springtime Recipe
A galette is a crusty French cake that can be made with different savory or sweet fillings.
This seasonal version of the classic ‘French pizza’ has a delicious cheesy hummus base and is topped with fresh asparagus and leeks.
Our Asparagus and Leek Galette is an easy yet impressive recipe. The rustic, herb-flavored dough and the creamy, cheesy hummus work perfectly with fresh, crunchy spring veggies.
This galette can be served as a weeknight dinner with a little side salad or makes a lovely brunch recipe.
Serve with good quality olive oil, vegan hollandaise, pesto, or extra hummus on the side.
Looking for a cheap and easy version?
- Use store-bought pie crust or pizza dough
- Top your galette with whatever veggies you have around. Green peas, carrots, zucchini, and corn are great budget-friendly options
- Use frozen veggies instead of fresh ones to cut down costs
Want an especially healthy version?
- Choose whole wheat, rye, or gluten-free flour
- Make your own hummus, and cut down on the added salt and olive oil
- Serve Asparagus and Leek Galette with a big side salad
- Omit the vegan cheese, or choose a homemade recipe
Would like to take your galette to the next level?
- Add more cheese to your hummus for an even meltier, cheesier sauce
- Instead of mozzarella choose a stronger cheese, like a vegan parmesan or blue cheese
- For a less rustic look arrange asparagus and leek neatly in a pattern
- Drizzle your galette with a generous amount of good quality extra virgin olive oil, or chili oil
- Top galette with pine nuts or chopped pistachios
Prep time: 25 minutes
Proof time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Vegan Asparagus and Leek Galette
For the dough:
- 1 cup flour (choose white, whole wheat, rye, or a GF blend)
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp instant yeast powder
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- ~1/3 cup of water
For the sauce:
- 1 cup of hummus
- 1/4 cup of grated vegan cheese
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (optional)
- salt, pepper
For the toppings:
- 1.5 cups of shaved or thinly sliced asparagus
- 1 cup of sliced leek
- 1 tbsp olive oil or plant milk
- 2 tbsp grated vegan cheese
- Mix together flour, garlic powder, yeast, herbs, and salt in a large bowl. Add olive oil, maple syrup, and water.
- Stir with a fork to combine, then using your hands knead the dough a few times to form a smooth dough. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F/200 C.
- For the hummus mix together hummus, cheese, mustard, and herbs. Season with chili, salt and pepper to taste.
- On a floured surface roll out dough into a large circle. Spread hummus mix over the dough, leaving a small border, about 1.5 inch. Top with asparagus and leek.
- Fold the borders over the filling, pleating it slightly as you go. Brush with oil or milk, and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Calories 366 | Total Fat 17.8g | Saturated Fat 2.5g | Cholesteroll 0mg | Sodium 727mg | Total Carbohydrates 42.4g | Dietary Fiber 7.7g | Total Sugars 2.9g | Protein 12.5g | Calcium 111mg | Iron 5mg | Potassium 356mg |