Vegan Upside Down Pear and Thyme Cake
With Thanksgiving over, we're finally heading into the holiday season and can start looking forward to cooking for the winter festivities. When it comes to desserts to make, this Vegan Upside Down Pear & Thyme cake is both elegant and delicious.
Thyme in a cake may sound unusual, but it pairs amazingly with the sweetness of pear and adds a hint of the aromatic flavor, bringing you an amazing dessert experience. Serve your cake with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream, vegan whipped cream, or even eat it as is. A cake like this is so good, it holds well on its own.
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 40 Min
Total Time: 55 Min
Vegan Upside Down Pear & Thyme Cake
- 3-4 Bosc Pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ Cup Maple Syrup
- 1 Cup Non-Dairy Milk, unsweetened
- 1 Flax Egg, (1 Tbsp Ground Flax + 4 Tbsp Water)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Avocado Oil
- ⅓ Cup Sugar, can sub for coconut sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Baking Soda
- 1-2 Tsp Thyme, destemmed
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch round baking pan with parchment paper and Preheat the oven to 350F. Peel and thinly slice your pears.
- In the baking pan, lay out your pears. Feel free to use whatever pattern you like! Pour your maple syrup over your pears and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add your non-dairy milk, flax egg, apple cider vinegar, avocado oil, sugar, and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl, add your flour, baking powder, baking soda, thyme, and salt. Whisk until evenly mixed. Fold your dry ingredients into your wet until combined and you get a batter consistency. Do not over mix.
- Pour your cake batter over your pears and using the back of a spoon or spatula, evenly smooth it out. Bake in the oven for 35-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for 15-20 minutes before carefully flipping the cake over onto a plate. Remove the parchment paper and enjoy!
Calories 323 | Total Fat 2.1g | Saturated Fat 0.3g | Sodium 173mg | Total Crabohydrate 74g | Dietary Fiber 4.9g | Total Sugars 40.3g | Protein 4.4g | Vitamin D 17mcg | Calcium 167mg | Iron 2mg | Potassium 411mg |
@MyVeganBreakfast showed us their creation and said it was easy to make and tasted delicious, even better in the morning with a cup of coffee. Did you make this recipe? Tag us on social and we'll feature you on The Beet.