Vegan Carrot Cake Roll, the Perfect Dessert for Easter
Love carrot cake? You’ll go nuts for this vegan Carrot Cake Roll recipe and its homemade dairy-free cream cheese filling. When a cake is rolled, it's that much more dense and fluffy, and this creamy frosting is the perfect topping for any baked good. Our Easter cake roll will impress your friends and family and is the perfect dish to serve multiple guests.
Carrot Cake Roll has a spiced, moist, fluffy cake and a delicious, sweet cream cheese filling. For the dough, you can add more spices if you prefer a stronger flavor. You can also swap some of the white flour for whole wheat in the recipe for a healthier dough.
You can use your favorite plant-based cream cheese alternative for this recipe: Store-bought soy, oat, or nut-based cheeses will all do, or you can make your own cream cheese with cashews, coconut milk, and/or tofu. If you like your frosting extra sweet, double the amount of sugar in the recipe.
This cake will keep in the fridge for a week when rolled in plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze this cake either whole or already sliced.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Vegan Carrot Cake Roll
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups of shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)
- 12 oz/350 g vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp powdered sugar for serving
- Preheat the oven to 360 F/180 C. Line a 15 x 10 inch (40 x 25 cm) jelly roll pan with baking paper.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together apple sauce, sugar, and oil. Fold in carrots and flour mix, and stir just to combine.
- Pour batter onto the prepared pan, and spread around evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until firm, but still bouncy.
- Transfer the cake with the parchment paper to a clean kitchen towel, then gently, but tightly roll up. Let cool completely rolled up.
- Meanwhile prepare cream cheese frosting. Using a whisk beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until smooth. Taste, and add more sugar if you want it sweeter.
- Once the cake has cooled down, carefully unroll the towel. Spread with the filling evenly, then roll up again. Place in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.
- When ready to serve, dust with powdered sugar, then slice.
Calories 350 | Total Fat 17.4g | Saturated Fat 7.6g | Sodium 240mg | Total Carbohydrate 46.1g | Dietary Fiber 1.6g | Total Sugars 32.7g | Protein 3g | Calcium 122mg | Iron 1 mg | Potassium 210mg |