In a Hurry? Make This Quick Tofu Curry
RECIPE OF THE DAY: TUESDAY OCTOBER, 8
THE DISH: Vegan Tofu Curry
FROM: @the_little_almond www.thelittle-almond.com
WHY WE LOVE IT: It’s an easy high protein recipe that tastes like it’s made from a restaurant. Save the leftovers because tofu curry tastes even better the next day and it’s an easy pop in the microwave.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 Minutes, Cook: 45 Minutes
TOTAL INGREDIENTS: 15 plus olive oil and salt
MAKE IT FOR: A comforting dinner for your friends get together.
SPECIAL NOTE: You only need a touch of each spice, so instead of buying each one separately, buy a small amount from the bulk section to save cash. Fresh coriander is also known as Chinese parsley and is the older version of cilantro, so feel free to swap in cilantro if need be.
(If you need to start prep the day before or order ingredients online, we will let you know that here. Otherwise, assume the dish can be shopped, prepped and served the same day with readily available ingredients.)
- 1 16oz block of extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 Cup Onions Finely diced
- 3 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tsp Ginger grated
- 1 Chili Pepper diced
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 5 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 14oz Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 14oz Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1 Handful Fresh Coriander finely chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Press your tofu to remove extra liquid. Cut into small cubes. Transfer to a bowl and toss around in oil until they're all coated.
- Transfer Tofu cubes to a large ziploc bag. Add your cornstarch and salt into the bag. Close it up and shake it until tofu is evenly coated in cornstarch.
- Evenly spread tofu cubes on a tray and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make the curry sauce by heating 2 Tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add your onions to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and chili pepper into the pan and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in your garam masala, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and turmeric. Continue to stir and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add in your tomato paste and cook for 1 minutes while stirring. Add in the diced tomatoes and coconut milk and stir until well combined.
- Simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until you get your desired thickness. Stir in your freshly chopped coriander and baked tofu.
- Serve with basmati rice and a wedge of lime.