“Hot for Food” Blogger Lauren Toyota’s Green Smoothie With Plant-Based Protein
Lauren Toyota is a popular Canadian television personality and the host of Hot for Food, a vegan lifestyle blog with almost 500k subscribers. Lauren cooks drool-worthy vegan comfort food and is the best-selling author of Vegan Comfort Classics, which has 101 recipes that are indulgent takes on your favorite traditional comfort foods. On a healthier note, Lauren shared her 'Team Green' smoothie with The Beet, which is full of nutrient-dense vegetables and plant-based protein.
Here's a note from Lauren:
"I like to add creaminess to my green smoothies with things like bananas, almond milk, and oil (either coconut or flax). It just helps with masking the idea of blended greens and I prefer this texture if I can’t have straight up a green juice. I’ve also loaded this guy with protein in the form of hemp hearts and Vega One so it’ll do the body extra good first thing in the morning. So now it’s time for you to join team green!" Watch this step-by-step video to learn how Lauren makes her smoothie.
Team Green Smoothie
- 1/2 cup of nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup of fresh apple or orange juice (or for something less sweet, you can use water or
- Coconut water)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 2 whole large leaves of kale (stems included)
- 1 green apple (cut off the core)
- 1/2 cup of fresh parsley leaves
- 2 pitted Medjool dates
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp flax oil or coconut oil
- 1 scoop Vega One Vanilla Nutritional Shake
- 1 cup of ice cubes
- Combine all the ingredients in a high-powered blender until smooth. Drink immediately!