Jerk Tofu with Rice and Kidney Beans
The great thing about this Caribbean-inspired recipe is that it’s a perfect meal to add to your meal prep routine. Add a side of kale to your jerk tofu, rice and kidney beans (often called peas by islanders) and this dish is the perfect, complete lunch, infused with a spicy tang.
Note: You will need to marinate your tofu for 8 hours or overnight
- 1 Block of Extra Firm Tofu, pressed
- 1 Cup of Jerk Marinade (you can use store-bought)
Rice and 'Peas'
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 1 Can (14oz) of Light Coconut Milk
- 1/4 Cup of Water
- 1/2 Tsp of Allspice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 Springs of Fresh Thyme
- 1 Cup Long-Grain Rice
- 1 Cup Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Cups of steamed Kale, Spinach or Broccoli to serve on the side
- For the Rice and Peas, you want to combine all the ingredients (except the rice and kidney beans) in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, and reduce heat to low. Cover and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and remove the thyme sprigs and garlic from the rice. Gently stir in the beans, and cover for another 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking you can prepare the Jerk Tofu. Evenly cut your tofu into slices and marinade in Jerk Marinade for 8 hours or overnight.
- Cook your marinaded tofu over medium-high heat on a grill for 5 minutes on each side, lightly brushing on some extra marinade as you cook your tofu. A nonstick pan works as well too. Set aside.
- Assemble your dish, by plating up your rice, tofu, and any veggies you want to serve it with. If you are using this as a meal prep, evenly distribute the rice, tofu, and veggies into 4 containers and store in the fridge. This can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.