Homemade Coconut Yogurt With Fresh Fruit
Coconut yogurt has become all the rage over the past few years, as people are turning to plant-based alternatives from classic animal-based yogurts. You only need 2-ingredients for creamy, thick, tangy and velvety coconut yogurt. It's a minimalist recipe for a quality plant-based yogurt.
Personally, I find coconut yogurt the best alternative to traditional, as it’s rich and creamy. I also like that the ingredients in coconut yogurt are minimal, natural and unprocessed unlike other dairy-free yogurts on the market. In fact, I used to eat a lot of soy-yogurt but found the processed soy to affect my skin, causing me to break out from hormone changes. See more about that in my Skincare blog post.Coconut yogurt has a delicious taste. It’s slightly nutty, very creamy and rich. Like a greek yogurt, it’s delicious plan and can be sweetened as you want with a bit of maple syrup, or honey.
Homemade Coconut Yogurt
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 21 minutes
- 2 cans organic full-fat coconut milk (400 ml each can, chilled in fridge)
- 3 probiotics capsules (30 billion active cultures)
- Fruit of choice (I used 1/3 cup strawberries)
- Maple syrup to drizzle
- Open coconut milk and scoop only the solid contents into a clean glass mixing bowl.
- Open three 30-billion probiotic capsules over bowl, and add the powdered contents. Stir together to combine until smooth, breaking up any clumps.
- Cover bowl with cheesecloth and secure with a rubber band. Leave in a warm, draft-free area for 24-48 hours.
- The longer you wait, the tangier it becomes. Once yogurt has reached the desired tanginess place in ridge to chill. If yogurt is too thick add splashes of your reserved coconut water to thin until desired consistency.
- Enjoy coconut yogurt topped with your favorite fruit.
Nutrition Notes: Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Calories: 307kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 28g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 20mg |Potassium: 351mg|Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g