Energy Snack Recipe: Delicious Chocolate Protein Bar With Pitaya Jelly
The next time someone asks, "where do you get your protein on a plant-based or vegan diet?" Send them this delicious chocolate protein bar recipe that's high in protein and sweetened naturally with Medjool dates. They will be sure to thank you for their new go-to snack or post-workout meal.
The best way to describe the taste of these protein bars is sinfully rich, crunchy, salty, with hints of a zing thanks to the pitaya. This bar is a healthier alternative to chocolate candy, almost like a snickers bar or milky way, and is made with real ingredients like fresh and natural almond butter, dates, pecans, fruit, maple syrup, and vegan dark chocolate.
The first layer of the bar is a chewy mixture of plant butter, nuts, dates, and protein. The second layer is the gooey, citrus filling of fresh pink pitayas or your choice of mixed berries. The third layer in the rich, crisp vegan dark chocolate layer that crunches when you bite into the bar. Everyone will love the combination of sweet, savory, and citrus flavors.
Enjoy these protein bars as a snack to tide you over to your next meal, or after you perform a workout to replenish your body with nutrients and fuel. Make the full batch and save the extra bars to enjoy throughout the week. There's nothing like homemade plant-based protein energy bars that are completely preservative-free.
If you want more, healthy, decadent recipes like this one, check out Ellen Charlotte Marie's cookbook, Everyday Vegan: Healthy Plant-Based Cooking for the Entire Family.
Recipe Developer: Ellen Charlotte Marie
Chocolate Protein Bars with Pink Pitaya Jelly
- 10 Medjool dates
- 100 g pecans or use almond meal
- Pinch of salt
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder
- 1 big tbsp almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 1 frozen pack pink pitaya or use a frozen berry mix
- 2 g agar-agar (jelly-like substance)
- 2 tbs coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 150 g vegan black chocolate
- Mix all 1 layer ingredients in a food processor until you get a sticky dough. Scoop the dough in a silicone bar tray.
- Press it down with your fingers. Put it in the freezer while making the jelly.
- Layer 2: heat the pitaya pulp or berry mixture, add sugar and agar agar and turn of the heat before it start cooking. Let it cool before scooping it onto the base.
- Put the bars in the freezer for at least 30 min.
- Melt the chocolate and dip the bars in the chocolate. Keep the bars in the fridge or in an airtight container in the freezer.