Creamy Vegan Pasta Packed With Nutrients
What We're Cooking This Weekend: Creamy Vegan Pasta
WHY WE LOVE IT: It’s very quick and easy to make, it only takes 30 minutes. Whole-grain pasta is nutrient-dense and rich in fiber and protein. Also eating whole grains has been linked to lower risks of certain diseases like diabetes, heart disease, and cancers. (Pine nuts are high in protein--check out our article about nuts with the most protein here.)
TOTAL TIME: 30 Minutes
Prep: 10 Minutes Cook: 20 Minutes
TOTAL INGREDIENTS: 7 plus seasonings
MAKE IT FOR: A healthy dinner and leftovers to bring to work.
SPECIAL NOTE: There are no instructions on how to cook the pasta, so make it how you like it! All of the ingredients are easy to find and you may have most of them in your pantry. (If you need to start prep the day before or order ingredients online, we will let you know that here. Otherwise, assume the dish can be shopped, prepped and served the same day with readily available ingredients.)
- 350g silken tofu
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup roasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup salad cress
- 200g whole-grain spaghetti
- Seasoning: garlic, salt, black pepper, paprika
- Optional: water or unsweetened almond milk
- Press out all the water from the tofu and crumble it up.
- Heat up a non-stick pan. Add tofu. Mix and add seasoning – garlic, salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- Keep stirring until all water evaporates (roughly 4 minutes)
- Transform tofu to high-powered blender or food processor.
- Add basil, spinach, and nutritional yeast.
- Pulse until smooth, scraping off the sides if needed.
- If the mixture is too thin and runny, add to the pan and heat up until more water evaporates.
- Roast a handful of pine nuts in a non-stick pan.
- In the meantime, cook your whole-grain spaghetti.
- When your pasta is cooked, add the smooth sauce and stir well.
- Serve with pine nuts and a handful of salad cress.