Dairy-Free Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Calling all chocolate and ice cream lovers because today is National Chocolate Ice Cream Day, your time to celebrate the two things you already love with a plant-based twist.
There's no better way to enjoy your favorite sweets than making them yourself so you know exactly what the ingredients are and stay clear from any unhealthy additives. On that note, another plus to homemade desserts is that the ingredients are of better quality, making the flavors richer and brighter.
Today we took the classic chocolate ice cream and made a five-ingredient plant-based version with ingredients that transform into a smooth creamy texture when prepped and blended like chilled coconut milk and raw cashews. Not only are you getting the best and most natural flavor profile but you're also practicing self-care with every scoop.
When you choose to eat dairy-free alternatives, you are lowering inflammation in the body that can be caused by eating animal products including dairy from cows. The best part about this ice cream is that the taste is all-natural and excludes any artificial flavoring so you don't feel full or sluggish after you devour your cup or cone. On a hot day like today, we recommend doubling the recipe! Enjoy.
Recipe Developer: Lauren, Flora & Vino
Prep Time: 6 hours
Cook Time: ~5 mins
Total Time: 7 minute
No-Churn Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
Yields 3 cups
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least one hour in hot water
- 1 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 1/4 cup + 2 TBSP pure maple syrup (use less or more depending on the desired sweetness!)
- 2/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 – 1 cup Hu Kitchen Gems, chopped + more for serving
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews and add to a high-speed blender with the entire contents of one can of coconut milk, maple syrup, and cacao powder.
- Blend on high until very smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Pour contents into a freezer-safe pan or container and tap several times to release any air bubble.
- Lay the container flat and freeze for 6-8 hours, stirring every hour with a spoon to lightly churn.
- Once the ice cream is firm and scoop-able, scoop into bowls and top with more Hu Kitchen Gems.
- Store ice cream in the freezer for up to one month. Allow ice cream to soften for 30 minutes prior to serving for the best results.