Vegan Egg Salad from Derek and Chad Sarno in The Wicked Kitchen
Diced tofu mixed with creamy mayo and spiced with turmeric is as delicious and versatile as traditional egg salad. Here, we load it into pita halves with some crunchy veggies, but you can also serve it over a bed of greens, use it to stuff hollowed-out tomatoes, or spoon it onto crackers for a quick snack.
Feel free to add your favorite extras: Some people love pickles or capers in egg salad, some like crunchy celery, and just about everyone likes a teaspoon or two of curry powder. Have fun with it!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Eggless Egg Salad Pitas
Serves 2 to 4
- 1/2 cup Wicked Kitchen™ Garlic Vegan Mayo with Caramelized Onion (or other vegan mayo)
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 package (14 ounces) firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 large pitas, split
- Handful tender crunchy greens, like baby lettuces, watercress or microgreens
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Whisk the mayo, green onions, mustard, turmeric, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch (1.25-cm) cubes and add to the bowl. Toss to combine, then use a spoon in a chopping motion to break up some chunks until the mixture looks like conventional egg salad. Mix in the dill.
- You can refrigerate the mixture for up to 3 days. To serve, open up a pita half and line the bottom with greens and a few radish slices, then spoon the tofu salad into the pitas.