Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches, Perfect for The Fourth of July
These delicious Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches are hearty, smoky, meaty, juicy, and so delicious. Perfectly tender jackfruit is tossed in BBQ sauce and tastes so convincing that you won’t believe it’s not pork.
This Pulled Jackfruit recipe is a great vegan meat substitute that you can use in so many ways. Serve this on burger buns with coleslaw and your favorite condiments, or stuff it into tacos, pita pockets, or tortilla wraps. You can also top baked potatoes or salad and Buddha bowls with Pulled Jackfruit.
On a budget?
- Buy your jackfruit in bulk in large cans, and freeze the rest for a later use
- You can also freeze the rest of the prepared pulled jackfruit
- Don’t discard the jackfruit seeds and cores. Even if they don’t look like pork, they taste just as good
Want to make this especially healthy?
- Omit the oil, and simply cook jackfruit in a non-stick skillet
- Choose low sodium and low sugar BBQ sauce for the recipe
- Serve Pulled Jackfruit over whole wheat buns or in baked potatoes
- For a low-calorie version serve Pulled Jackfruit without a bun in a lettuce cup
- Top your Pulled Jackfruit with extra veggies such as tomato, cucumber, arugula, red onion or pickles
What about something fancy?
- Marinate the jackfruit overnight with the spices and a little oil before cooking
- Add extra umami to your Pulled Jackfruit by adding some miso paste and/or soy sauce to the BBQ sauce
- For a special version add 2-3 tablespoons of whisky to the BBQ sauce as well
- Serve Pulled Jackfruit on freshly baked homemade buns
- Don’t forget your fries or potato wedges from the side
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 cans of young green jackfruit, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- salt, pepper
- 4 burger buns
- lettuce leaves
- condiments of your choice (BBQ sauce, ketchup, vegan mayo, vegan tzatziki, etc)
- Mix together jackfruit with sugar, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, chili, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Heat up oil in a skillet, then add onions, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and jackfruit, and cook for another 3-5 minutes, until jackfruit starts to soften and brown.
- Pour BBQ sauce over jackfruit, and cook for 10 more minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally, until jackfruit is tender, and the sauce thickens. Add a little water, while cooking, if you prefer saucier and juicier pulled jackfruit.
- Add vinegar, taste, and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve Pulled Jackfruit over buns with lettuce, coleslaw, and condiments of your choice.
Nutritionals With Burger Buns
Calories 405 | Total Fat 9g | Saturated Fat 1.4g | Cholesterol 1mg | Sodium 1151mg | Total Carbohydrate 71.8g | Dietary Fiber 10.1g | Total Sugars 24.4g | Protein 10.2g | Vitamin D 0mcg | Calcium 28mg | Iron 5mg | Potassium 209mg |